Contact Information:

jay@vanishingtowerpress.com

Sunday, October 14

Live Streaming the Game Session

The first live stream of my long running Clockwork & Cthulhu online game got off the ground with a real live gatecrasher dropping into the Google Hangout right at the end of the session. It was like some viral bot which persistently entered the Hangout with a prerecorded message. I'm guessing there are automated malicious malware which searches YouTube live for streams? I do not have a clue. Anyone who has experience with live streaming their Hangout go ahead and jump to the end to see what I am talking about. I would like to clean this kind of intrusion up.


Fortunately it did not diminish play and fun being had with this current live session. Using the YouTube(beta) studio I was able to set up a channel (Vanishing Tower Press) and figure out how to generate a Google Hangout which was also streamed live as well as be recorded to my YouTube channel. I'm sure many of you have already familiarized yourself with this online tech, but this was my first look at running it myself. Long story short, it was dead simple to open the Hangout through YouTube. I posted the link to my MeWe game group and let the players fall into just like always. 

The game did take a roll-call hit this outing with the session three players down. This didn't have anything to do with the great G+ migration disrupting communication channels. Just stuff coming up so players couldn't show. Yes this is a pain in the ass as a game master, but we who show negotiate a handwave solution for the present situation and press on. We have come to know the game as deeply serial. Everyone wants to force a resolution so the session grinds on.

And it went like most sessions have for nigh on three years. There was the early settling in, the shop-talk as we all transition into gamer world. Then came play. With fewer active table players I usually see the "journey" through the game world pick up speed so we saw the environment drastically change over the course of the session for the PC's. More questions, fewer answers and less PC's to absorb the certain damage to come, and then the unusual bot hack which brought the whole session to a quick ending until next time.

Being able to replay the session back was waaay cool. Super obvious how it can sharpen my recollection of what just happened. Running a session I can miss some of the witty play coming from my players. So yeah I get to appreciate the social aspects of the game in playback I do miss to a degree as a game referee. Probably the most immediate and useful GM'img teaching tool going too. I was never good enough in sports to make tape and watch game film like the varsity players so I don't have much experience with learning from watching yourself play but the value is unmistakable. I'm not sure what the overall impact to play will be, but review did give me a chance to confirm suspicions and validate some actual play methods I try and stay conscious of. Getting to see the actual walk of the lot of talking we all do around here, it's good to see it work. 

Adding a video library to the campaign along with the written is pretty exciting. Never has there been the ability to manufacture the actual play experience for spectators on such an accessible scale. Now all those papers, notes and scribbled maps are adorned with the sound of voices and images of people playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on the Line