Contact Information:

jay@vanishingtowerpress.com

Thursday, March 3

Should I Start Live-Streaming Again?

 I mean, recording the game session is my major priority. I think editing the audio and posting it later is a much more interesting product to consume, but some folks do enjoy seeing a game session being run in real-time. 

I dusted off OSB and it is dead-simple to reconnect and fire up a live stream on my youtube channel. I've changed over my output folder for Bandicam to my hardrive so as not to lose my recording of the game session to "jiggly" cords and my dry run with sound check appears to make a audible live stream as well as audio recording.

From past experience I know I can feel a bit rushed and get flustered trying to get everything set before the game goes live and this can put me off my focus for the job at hand, being the GM of the session, which at the end of the day is my ultimate priority. 

The upside of live stream is it offers another means of engagement with the roleplaying community and this illusionary closeness and connection does give warm fuzzies. But not altogether necessary. Sifting through the pros and cons I end up at the same place; I like mucking around with broadcast software and creating content for online consumption, whether it gets much notice or not. So I'm going to start doing it again.

If you think this is a bad, bad idea drop me a comment and let me know. Otherwise, tune into the Vanishing Tower Press Youtube channel Sunday morning 7am MT/-7 GMT for the next session of Even Heroes Bleed!

12 comments:

  1. I think it can be a good way to build a community but it does take a lot of effort and its a slow grind unless you are Critical Roll. I listen to most of my Actual plays at work where I can listen as I work but not watch so the live stream would be something I would miss but if you can get the word out having people in the peanut gallery could be fun if handled well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And have you seen Anders on the interwebs? Miss that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I was wondering the same thing recently for a guy who had a strong online presence he has completely dropped off the radar. I know he was feeling a little burnt out but its been a while which is worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will dig and see if he has any other online social media presence just to say hi because he is a solid human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, found him on facebook and sent a friends request. Now we wait... muhaaaha!

      Delete
    2. He is a cool guy and was fun to game with.

      Delete
  5. He still has his blog up but nothing since August 21, https://sanityzeroblog.wordpress.com
    https://nerdomancerofdork.wordpress.com

    His last post on MeWe was he had left Facebook...again so 50/50 on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faaack. I'm just going to have to hop on a bike and peddle my ass over there!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update, The reason I stopped live streaming it’s because my computer does not have the bandwidth to do both at the same time live stream and record the session recording the sessions the priority so that’s why I’ve always stuck with it mystery solved

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on the Line